As I make progress on the Dalek dome I was 3d printing a lot of bits and pieces. I had been printing with some translucent filament so it made sense to
create the eye rings. They are half scale and very thin and fragile but I think they look good.
I had already made a prototype eye with duct tape and so I transferred the dimensions to my CAD program and redesigned the eye to be in 3 parts the cylinder section in the middle. The curved bit at the front that resembles a lens and the mini dome at the back.
I was never really happy with the lighting because of a lack of space I had to add the LEDs on their side. LEDs typically shine from the end and not the side.
I tried to enhance the uniformity by roughing the surface with sand paper or using (helped a bit). I also tried using foil to reflect the light (not much impact).
I then thought I would print a lens to diffuse the light out of translucent filament.
(This is where I discovered it is hard to take a photo of translucent filament prints they turn out blurred).
While this sounds like a good idea it only made a minor difference. But the advantage was I could use it to mount the servo and LEDs inside the eye easily so I was happy with this.
The final result is in the last picture.