The eyes have it

As I make progress on the Dalek dome I was 3d printing a lot of bits and pieces. I had been printing with some translucent filament so it made sense to
create the eye rings. They are half scale and very thin and fragile but I think they look good.

Eye stalk rings
In some countries these may be considered currency

I had already made a prototype eye with duct tape and so I transferred the dimensions to my CAD program and redesigned the eye to be in 3 parts the cylinder section in the middle. The curved bit at the front that resembles a lens and the mini dome at the back. Continue reading “The eyes have it”

Take the plunge!

I was thinking it would be interesting to design a 3d Printed plunger for holding a tray that would have a teacup on it.
So I designed a plunger that was sort of squished at an angle.

The arm will use a fitting from a lamp, they basically come with nuts washers and threaded metal tube, the one I will use is about a 30cm long.

3d printed plunger
Upside down view of plunger

 

plunger alternative view
Close up of plunger
face up view of plunger
Plunger another view

Turn up the base

The weather has been right and with all the issues I had with the 3d printer recently, I chose to give my printer a rest and do some painting.

Base of Dalek
Dalek Base
base and skirt
Skirt and base

Here is the base with one or two coats the paint was really soaking in.
I also managed to sand the skirt and add some coats of the nearest I could find to Army Green.It needs a lot more coats, I think I’m going to need a bigger can of paint.

Rings and things

I started printing rings for the skirt balls. Thinking about it, I also wanted to have a way of mounting the rings. The original Mini-me used nails for some positional stability, and glue.
I thought I would do it differently this time. I created a ring with a floor in it. I will glue the ball into the ring, but for positional stability I am going to use brads, so I made a rectangular opening to allow the brad to go through.

I have to 3D print about 60 of these to cover any issues I might have.

rings for the balls
Note the cunning mounting system.

The picture shows the Styrofoam balls that I had cut and painted previously.
The hole in the centre is to allow for mounting to the side of the skirt.

A dome of many colours (and parts)

I knew that making the dome in pieces would show the seams between the pieces. But considering I have some ~30 pieces all joined together I think the dome looks pretty good.
Here is a picture of the dome after I used acetone to join the pieces together. It is quite sturdy.

Dalek Dome
Dome

To see what things would look like I added the mesh, supports and the rings.

Rings, supports and mesh
The struts are in place, supporting the rings

I am going to use a lazy Susan to rotate the dome. How exactly I am gong to do this I am not sure.
Mini-me neck structure is a little different so I probably will not do it the same way.

Finally I added the the dome to the neck and the rings.

All together
Dry fit of dome and rings