Ooo, look at my skirt.

The skirt was put together over the last few days

Dalek skirt
Foam board skirt

When I made Mini-Me one of the worst parts of putting the skirt together was the lack of edge to glue the pieces to each other.
Mini-Me had a brass tube frame to hold everything together in the skirt. This was not the best success; it held but there are cracks down the seams between skirt pieces.
For this new one, I cut out the the pieces of the skirt, then stuck foam board to each one as a backing and the foam board made the pieces thicker.
I also made interlocking flaps and tags so that the foam board went over the gap. The result is that the skirt feels much stronger and a little heavier.
Here are some pictures from different stages.

foam board
Skirt assembly
skirt assembly
insert flap A into slot B
gluing the skirt
waiting for glue to dry
assembled skirt
Skirt assembled

This is your brain on Slurm

I got an email asking how my Bender was doing and if I had done any additional work.
I have and here is an update.

bender
Bender head on body

compared to this

tube for body
Body size

I built up the body from the cylinder of card and used foam core to add ribs all around the body, giving the slope effect to the body, and insulating foam filler to fill the gaps. A cone shape of card covers the neck area.
Still trying to figure out what to do with the mouth area.

I wanted to try something different when doing Bender’s head and so I used Google Sketchup to make a dome the right shape and a plug-in to slice the image into a 4×4 shape.
Then I printed the shapes out and glued them on to foam core material.
This was the hardest part. I cut out the shapes in the foam core and slotted them together. I then get this sort of matrix shape.
The main issue I had was printing in scale, as it sort of changed size ever so slightly I think I managed to cover up the small anomalies okay. A side issue is that it is very difficult to get good detail out of this method.
Here is a close up of the head.

The next step will be to cover the head holes with paper mache and smooth them down.

a dome out of foam board
foam board dome

A new year, a new dalek

Over the Christmas break I started work on a new scale dalek. This will be an Ironside dalek.

I have completed the base and am now in the process of strengthening it. The skirt is cut out and I need to cut some more pieces out then I will be able to glue it together.

view of finished base
Finished base

This is what the base looks like. I made only one major mistake (bottom right corner), even though I measured 4 times and cut once. I will take care of it with filler.

under the base
Underside view of the base

Here is an underside side view. I have covered the joins with newspaper to make the joints stronger

foam board bumper
Foam board bumper edges

This foam board should make everything more sturdy once glued to the underside of the base

cut out panels
All the skirt panels

I will add foam board across the joints of the skirt panels too.
Here are the panels