The weather has been right and with all the issues I had with the 3d printer recently, I chose to give my printer a rest and do some painting.
Here is the base with one or two coats the paint was really soaking in.
I also managed to sand the skirt and add some coats of the nearest I could find to Army Green.It needs a lot more coats, I think I’m going to need a bigger can of paint.
I started printing rings for the skirt balls. Thinking about it, I also wanted to have a way of mounting the rings. The original Mini-me used nails for some positional stability, and glue.
I thought I would do it differently this time. I created a ring with a floor in it. I will glue the ball into the ring, but for positional stability I am going to use brads, so I made a rectangular opening to allow the brad to go through.
I have to 3D print about 60 of these to cover any issues I might have.
The picture shows the Styrofoam balls that I had cut and painted previously.
The hole in the centre is to allow for mounting to the side of the skirt.
When I made Mini-Me one of the worst parts of putting the skirt together was the lack of edge to glue the pieces to each other.
Mini-Me had a brass tube frame to hold everything together in the skirt. This was not the best success; it held but there are cracks down the seams between skirt pieces.
For this new one, I cut out the the pieces of the skirt, then stuck foam board to each one as a backing and the foam board made the pieces thicker.
I also made interlocking flaps and tags so that the foam board went over the gap. The result is that the skirt feels much stronger and a little heavier.
Here are some pictures from different stages.