As I make progress on the Dalek dome I was 3d printing a lot of bits and pieces. I had been printing with some translucent filament so it made sense to
create the eye rings. They are half scale and very thin and fragile but I think they look good.
I had already made a prototype eye with duct tape and so I transferred the dimensions to my CAD program and redesigned the eye to be in 3 parts the cylinder section in the middle. The curved bit at the front that resembles a lens and the mini dome at the back. Continue reading “The eyes have it”→
I added the curved bit at the end of the eye stalk. I took the dimensions from my current eye stalk and added them into a 3d model and then exported it out of Pepakura. Then printed on to card and cut out and glued.
I want to make this keyed so that it is not all glued together but accessible at a later date.
Not sure how I will do this but it is in the fine details.
Here is the inside view of the servo and the ring with the wires going to the connector I added a 10uF capacitor to act as a bulk capacitor and keep the voltage from dipping. I have a separate wire for the LEDs which makes it possible to turn them on and off separately from the power to the servo.
I drilled a hole and tapped into to the caster itself and drilled another hole at a 90 degree angle and threaded wire through to the eye. I originally thought that if I was able to do this then I could sort of unscrew the eye stalk for easier transportation. To be able to unscrew the stalk I need to be able to disconnect the wires but the act of unscrewing the tube twists the wires.
I was thinking I needed a way to pivot the eye stalk. I thought that I could get a caster wheel and use that. I am still working on the dome so I do not know if it will fit correctly, but for now this my plan to pivot the eye.
From prototype to real world. Here is the non-cardboard version although there is still hot glue and duct tape. I used the lid from a reusable kitchen container. That is what is connected to the servo horn via the wire.