Turn the table

Item number 2 on my feature hit list is extraction of fumes to outside, so this is going to replace my current setup which is a window fan mounted on its side like a kitchen stove hood.

Fan mounted to push fumes down the hose.
Quick disconnect vent hose will allow easy access.

I cut a hole in the corner of the top surface of my Lack table and mounted a fan on the underside. On the top side above the fan,
Continue reading “Turn the table”

I should be so Lack-y

I vent my printer outside and have noticed that my printer was taking a long time to heat the bed during the cold months of the year.
Even printing at 9.00 pm in May sometimes it is so cool outside that my prints contract enough to not stick to the bed or curl. So I was toying with the idea of enclosing the printer and wondering where I should start.


Continue reading “I should be so Lack-y”

Not fuming, just venting!

When I first started using the hood I thought everything was fine, but after using it two or three times I did notice a downward draught, that was cooling the bed slightly.
My first thought was to seal all the gaps but this did not help. I then tried adding a sort of extension skirt around the bottom of the fans. This seemed to do the trick.
I might be wrong, but I think there are all sorts of turbulent air currents and this helps still the air. I can still feel a slight draught but before I added the skirt,  it actually felt like the fan was blowing down!
I am beginning to feel more confident about 3d printing in general now. Usually once they have started printing I walk away, with only a periodic check.
Some prints have been >5 hours after the bed had come to full temperature.
To test out my new hood I printed this catapult http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:391508 The amazing thing about this catapult design, is that it prints in one piece.
This was my second attempt to print it. The first came out okay except the bucket of the catapult, being printed on it’s own, started to move. I saved it by holding a screwdriver and it sort of fused together.

A one piece 3d print of a catapult
Printed in one piece

I could see all it needed was some supports so I modified the file look like this

Catapult with supports
The coloured areas are the areas I added

Added support pieces are coloured

A hood for all seasons

Extractor fan with hood
Ready for sucking

I measured and cut foam board to go around the fan, then I got the glue gun out and glued it together.
I added weather stripping to the edge so turbulent air inside the hood would not blow down.
I got some drier hose and connected it into the hood.
Looking like a giant slinky, it sits on top of the hood with the window end propped against the wall.

When it is time to extract fumes I put the window end into the sliding window. The idea is that it is put in the window and the window slides shut jamming it in the window.
I made the window end by cutting some hardboard a little smaller than the open window space. For some extra insulation I glued some foam board to it. I also added some more  weather stripping so that there are no cracks when the window is slid closed.
So far when placed in the window there does not seem to be much of a drop in temperature in the room or at the 3d printer though it’s hard to tell because it is not winter and not minus 30 degrees C outside. Noise level is good.

Will have to wait and see. Now I can get back to some printing.

Extractor fan in use
Ready for action

Winter is coming!

Yes I know it is an over used phrase.

But it is coming and I moved the 3d printer from it’s summer home (the garage) to it’s winter home (the basement).
I discovered that after printing for about 3 hours in the basement, the air is a bit stuffy even with the window open and a fan in the window. The beauty of the garage was that it was an open space; the negative was it was hot in summer and it would be cold when winter came.
So I thought I would try to create an extraction system for it (like a cooker hood).

I looked on line for fume extraction DIY style and all I could find was exaction fans for soldering irons. These seemed quite wimpy or in some cases very noisy.

Extractor fan
Extraction team one swarm swarm swarm,

Extraction on and ready!

I am not a HVAC engineer so there is no science behind this particular thing.  I just built it. The end result is I want it to remove fumes. It should not be permanent because I really do not want the window open all year around for security and heat reasons.

My only concern is that the motors are meant to be used vertically not horizontally.
I bought a window fan extractor for about $30 and hung it on the wall sitting on some shelf angle brackets I already had.
This is what stage one looked like. Then I built a hood around it.