I got an email asking how my Bender was doing and if I had done any additional work.
I have and here is an update.
compared to this
I built up the body from the cylinder of card and used foam core to add ribs all around the body, giving the slope effect to the body, and insulating foam filler to fill the gaps. A cone shape of card covers the neck area.
Still trying to figure out what to do with the mouth area.
I wanted to try something different when doing Bender’s head and so I used Google Sketchup to make a dome the right shape and a plug-in to slice the image into a 4×4 shape.
Then I printed the shapes out and glued them on to foam core material.
This was the hardest part. I cut out the shapes in the foam core and slotted them together. I then get this sort of matrix shape.
The main issue I had was printing in scale, as it sort of changed size ever so slightly I think I managed to cover up the small anomalies okay. A side issue is that it is very difficult to get good detail out of this method.
Here is a close up of the head.
The next step will be to cover the head holes with paper mache and smooth them down.
I have a very basic prototype Bender head with the welding glasses and mouth.
This is only a dry fit, nothing is glued or finalized yet.
There is a lot of sanding and filling to do.
I am going to work on a suitable placement for the servo motors.
At the moment I need one for left/ right movement of the eyes as seen in a previous post.
The more I look at it the more I think it looks like Homer Simpson…..
I have got my first foot or is it shoe for Bender. It recently came out of the mould.
I used a large sieve as the mould.
The material used is instant paper mache, the type you buy from a hobby shop and looks like a brick and you just break some off paper away from the brick, add water in the proportions given and no ripping of newspaper required.
The craters will need to be smoothed out. The plan is to fill the insides with something heavy to stop him tipping over.