After making a Talkie Toaster I wanted to explore the idea of a moving prop again.
I have seen other people’s Daleks and I thought they were too large (in the ‘how do you get that through a door’ or ‘where can I put that’ kind of way).
So I felt that 1/2 scale was the way to go. (In some ways I wish that I had made my K-9 1/2 scale too.)
So I started by listing all the features I knew my Dalek had to have.
- Remote controlled drive train
- Ears that flashed when the Dalek spoke
- Rotating dome
- Eye stalk that moved up and down
- Gun arm that moved in a threatening way
- The unmistakable Dalek speech and attitude
This time I was going to make my own PCBs to control the Dalek. I was also going to make certain I had easy access to everything!!
Overall the cost to make it was $600. (included several one off charges like the PCBs that could be used in many projects).
And I like to call him Mini-Me