The plan (part2)

My mantra for this project would be …..light…….light …….light
I used a mixture of foamboard, illustration board and bristol board throughout the Dalek.

Skirt and shoulders of a Dalek
Dalek skirt and shoulders

The overall shape came from a brass tube frame.
The dome was the most complicated part to build and was made from several layers of paper mache.

I started with newspaper, then kitchen towel and finally toilet paper. I sanded down each layer before adding the next.

A lazy Susan was used to allow the dome to rotate.

The intricate details

Dalek balls
Balls ready for painting
    The balls on the skirt are polystyrene balls cut in half.
    The ‘rivets’ are painted split peas.
    The mesh on the shoulders is screen door mesh.
    Brass tubes of different sizes made up the arm and gun.
    The ‘ears’ were handcrafted out of a rubber mold and epoxy resin.
    The ears have a white LED inside each one.

Movement

I purchased a large R/C toy tank. I cut it down until it was just the motors, controller and tracks and attached it to the base.
This did not work because toys are not sturdy enough though. The plastic gears cannot hold up well to the weight of anything much over the weight of the original toy. Also the speed of the Dalek is not really proportional with the size.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s