I was at the Maker Faire last year in San Francisco and usually I come away with some things from the Maker Shed. This time was no exception and I bought a motor chassis for a robot with 4 wheel drive, I just could not resist.
Anyway, I got it home and realized the metal parts were perfectly stable but the plastic bits like the wheels and motors were a bit on the cheap side. I mostly purchased it for the metal chassis so I was not too bothered.
I put it all together. The wheels are of very cheap quality it was supposed to go in my next Dalek, but I have been thinking that this could be utilized quite well in my DRD.
So I put it all together. It really is a shame about the quality of the motors and wheels, otherwise I would have ordered several more right away. I could also be a bit premature it may still work OK, but I have not tried it yet.
Above is a picture of the modified chassis. I added a servo at the front to wobble the eye stalks. Not sure how this will work yet (or if it even will work). The chassis is really cool; it has a place to put ultrasonic detectors and servos and other sensors. I have sort of hacked mine to be ready for the DRD.
I added some aluminium bars across the bottom and the body of the DRD will sit on top of these bars. The idea is to just attach it to the underside of the shell with some nuts. My thought at first was to use some hinges then I could lift the shell up, but I realized that I was making things more complex then they needed to be.
Underneath look at the body shell
Here is a picture of the underside of the shell of the DRD. I hope to add AA battery packs at the front and back end of the 2 bars.