Trying to connect to Pronterface (using Linux)

After putting it all together and double double checking the wiring I turned it on.

The 3d printer is designed to work with Pronterface. There was a Linux version so I downloaded it and installed it in Mageia Linux.
I could not connect. I tried various things and tried again still could not connect. Baud rate was supposed to be 250000 I read the number again that is pretty fast and it was not one of the available baud rates available. I emailed to confirm that this was the correct baud rate and sheepishly mentioned that I was using Linux and that I had an issue.
I was expecting the standard “What’s that?” or “We do not support that” reply
instead I got an email back confirming the baud rate and whilst not being very familiar with Linux gave several suggestions of workarounds or how to fix my issue (way more than I expected).
I found that the issue with the connection was that I needed to run a patch for the pyserial.patch driver.
Details here near bottom of page look for the section “Connection with printer failed”
http://reprap.org/wiki/Printrun

Finally I was able to connect. I made the bed go forward and back the gantry go left and right. Did a whole pile of tests and then I was ready to print. The kit came with some example shapes.

I chose one and tried to print.

Test print cylinders
3 cylinders
Test print meeting in the center
Pyramid of doom

Getting the 3d printer assembled

Putting the 3d printer together was simple, but not without its little hurdles.
I had already studied the manual prior to buying it which consisted of a pdf and links to some videos for each step.

I ordered the printer and it was shipped and received 2 days later. The box that it came in was big, and had a whole pile of parts.
I started by making a spreadsheet of the parts. There were a lot of similar sized screws.I went through each section and added to my spreadsheet. This took 2 nights. Then I got stuck in building it. As I went through each section I cross-referenced the part  on the spreadsheet.

The building went well until I got to the extruder. At this point the manual pushes you to the people who make the extruder. The format of the information was not as good. Also there was a slight issue with a missing grub screw which was replaced, very quickly.

printing
One of my first print attempts

The rest of the build was pretty straight forward; I just followed the videos.
I carefully checked my wiring. There was some concern that the nozzle needed to be heated up and then tightened. I had email support form Doug from Skyhunt as needed.

The experience of putting it together was a good one.