I had a few more things to do, I wanted to paint the hinge and brackets black, but I was so excited to get it working I jumped to the configuration of the software.
Now that Octoprint has plugins and one of them is the touchUI designed for LCD touch screens etc, I went through the steps of setting up the image on the Pi. I used Jessie Lite on to an 8GB SD card.
I went back to the computer and opened a browser and put in Local.Pi and connected from the browser. The OctoPrint GUI was now visible.
I then installed the Touch UI plugin.
The next step was to see the interface on the Raspberry Pi. This meant that the Lite in Jessie Lite was not going to cut it, I needed to run a browser, but Jessie Lite does not have X system that gives graphics. I used the script to expand and load the X part of Jessie that was missing from Jessie Lite.
In all fairness, there was a warning that said something to the effect of loading more than Jessie Lite and it would probably not work well.
After about an hour of installing I typed startx and I then started the browser. I thought something went wrong because it took a long time to get to the desktop and starting the browser was worse. The CPU never went below 60% and stayed at 100% for long periods making the whole thing unusable with the touch screen.
After a while the CPU usage reduced to 5% jumping back up to 50%. every 20-30 seconds. Changing a setting the usage went up to 100% for long periods.
The server seems to work fine when X is not started but I don’t think I would trust my prints.
TouchUI works on my phone with no issues, only a slight lag. The issue seems to be that the server, browser and X have to run on the Pi and it is just too much so the screen is basically redundant. Maybe a Raspberry Pi 3 would be fine doing this job. I will disconnect the touch screen and find another use for it.